Schools 4 Peace/Skole Za Mir
Posted on 13th October 2017
Abbey Gates is a Schools 4 Peace school!
Schools for Peace (Skole Za Mir) is a relatively new and growing partnership between schools in the UK, Bosnia and Serbia. The purpose of the partnership is to help each partner school to make ‘peace making’ an important part of its educational and community life.
By ‘peace-making’ we mean helping pupils to understand the causes of conflict and ways of resolving it, and to develop skills in peace-making. The project will cover international and national peace-making, as well as peace-making in school and everyday community life.
At the centre of the SFP/SZM partnership is Coventry Cathedral. This famous Cathedral is very well known for its work in promoting peace-making internationally. The Cathedral is working with the charity SANA as coordinator of the partnership.
As part of the project, our children will be taking part in lessons based on the following themes.
Identity (What’s my story? Being secure in who we are.)
Understanding conflict (How does it come about? What are the warning signs?)
Openness to the ‘other’ (Learning to listen. Inclusion and exclusion)
Agents of change (Who can change things and how? Individuals and communities)
Resolving conflict (Be a peacemaker!)
Flourishing (What can peace look like and feel like? Living well with our differences)
Want to find out more? Go to http://www.sana.co.uk
- Oct 17 - Y4 Family Assembly 9am
- Oct 18 - F&P Governors Meeting
- Oct 18 - Y6 Residential at Kingswood
- Oct 23 - October Half-Term
- Oct 30 - Inset Day
- Oct 30 - First Day Back After Half-Term
- Nov 1 - Y3 Family Assembly 9am
- Nov 22 - PSDC Governors Meeting
- Dec 7 - School Panto: Cinderella (am)
- Dec 14 - Christmas Dinner/Party Day
- Dec 14 - PTA Christmas Disco
- Dec 19 - KS2 Carol Concert 2pm & 6pm