To discover more about Governors roles and responsibilities, please refer to the attached document: "Governors Roles and Responsibilities" (this can be found at the bottom of this page).
Welcome to the Governors page. The Governors at Abbey Gates who act as "critical friends". Governors support the Head Teacher and the school but also have a monitoring role asking relevant questions such as "Is it working?", "How do we know it is working?", "How can we get better?". Governors need no formal qualifications but do need these particular qualities:
- an interest in the education and well-being of our children
- a willingness to ask questions
- the time commitment to attend termly meetings
- a commitment to be part of a team which, by working together, can make a real difference to the school.
The work of the Governing body is wide-ranging and there are, therefore, committees which have specific areas of work delegated to them. These committees meet termly and report back to the termly full Governing body meeting for ratification of their decisions. Abbey Gates has six committees; these are Full Governors, F&P, PSDC, Pay, Performance Management and Discipline. A brief description of the remit of thesub committees are as follows:
- Full Governors – all governors are members. Meetings are termly.
- F&P (Finance and Personnel Committee) - monitors expenditure and oversees the Budget Plan, Staffing Matters and recruitment, and Health and Safety. Meets termly
- PSDC (Strategic Development Committee) - develops the 3 year strategic plan, the School Improvement Plan, covers assessment and targets, monitors the curriculum and policies with due regard to equal opportunities and admissions. Meets termly.
- Pay- reviews and implements the pay policy
- Performance Management - reviews and implements the performance management policy
- Discipline - reviews and implements the discipline policy including exclusions.
Access electronic resources: