At Abbey Gates Primary School we believe that teaching children to develop their Personal, Social and Emotional skills is just as important as their academic ability. Children in all classes throughout the school are taught 'SEAL' (Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning), in which they learn about:
- Self awareness
- Managing feelings
- Social skills
The materials are seperated into seven themes:
- New Beginnings (Half Term 1)
- Getting On and Falling Out (Half Term 2)
- Going for Goals (Half Term 3)
- Good to be Me (Half Term 4)
- Relationships (Half Term 5)
- Changes (Half Term 6)
- Say No to Bullying (During Anti-Bullying Week)
Every fortnight, certificates are given out in assembly to support the current SEAL focus and children are encouraged to 'spot' good behaviour in class and out on the playground.
You can support your child by taking some time to work with them on the 'Family SEAL Activities', which will be sent home each half term by your child's class teacher.