Welcome to Year One
Class 2012-2018 on September 5th 2012
We are really looking forward to getting to know you and working together so that we have a very exciting and productive year. We hope that you enjoy the new challenges and approaches to learning that Year 1 has to offer!
Our aim is ensure that there is a smooth transition from the Foundation Stage to Key Stage One. The Year 1 curriculum builds upon and extends the experiences that the children have had in F2. Learning through play will continue to be an important part of the school day, and the children will gradually be eased into more formal learning as the year goes on so that they remain motivated, enthused and eager learners. Please don't hesitate to come and see us either before or after school if you have any questions or queries.
There will be a notice board displayed in the classroom window which will be used to communicate messages to you. The pelican is moving up to Year 1 with the children and so this will allow you to provide us with any information we need to know each day. We do want to emphasise that you can come and talk to us at any time before or after school but the pelican can be used for less important things. Each child will be given a school planner and this provides the chance to communicate any important, personal messages with you.
- If your child is going home with someone other than you, we ask that you let us know either on the day or in advance, who will be collecting them. If it is an emergency situation then a telephone call will be sufficient. We are unable to let children go home with anyone who has not been named to us in advance.
- We regularly take part in cooking activities so please ensure that we are aware of any allergies that your child has.
- If your child is asthmatic then please ensure that your child's inhaler is in school each day and is clearly named before it comes into school.
- Please name all of your child's school clothes (including PE kit) It would be useful if you could also name their shoes as many of the children will have the same ones.
- Our PE sessions will be on a Monday and a Wednesday. Please ensure that PE kits are in school all week.
- We like to go outside even though it is sometimes wet and muddy. It would be really useful to have named wellies and a waterproof jacket on wet days. On hot days a hat is needed aswell as suncream applied before school.
- Your child will get books to read and some words to practice. They will need to bring their reading bag to school every day.
We hope you have had a wonderful Summer.
Mrs Vanner, Mrs Whalley and Mrs GossGo Back